Skip to Content

Muturi Claims Ouster Linked to Vocal Stance on Extrajudicial Killings, Not Performance

April 2, 2025 by
Mati



Former Public Service Cabinet Secretary Justin Muturi has dismissed claims that his removal from office was due to poor performance or absenteeism from Cabinet meetings. Instead, Muturi argues that his dismissal stemmed from his outspoken criticism of extrajudicial killings and abductions, issues he says have plagued President William Ruto’s administration.


During a press briefing on Wednesday, Muturi stated that his removal directly resulted from his continued calls for the government to address the increasing number of enforced disappearances and unlawful executions.


“Since my reasons for missing Cabinet meetings are clear, one can conclude that raising concerns about abductions and extrajudicial killings is a highly sensitive issue for the President,” Muturi remarked.


Muturi further alleged that individuals close to the President had been pushing for his resignation or dismissal due to his uncompromising position on the matter. He also revealed that he deliberately skipped the last Cabinet meeting on March 11 at State House, as there was no indication that the agenda would include his persistent concerns about extrajudicial killings and abductions.


According to Muturi, he had written a third letter to President Ruto on March 10, urging that the issue be formally discussed in future Cabinet meetings. However, he noted that the President had not acknowledged or responded to any of his letters.


“To date, the President has never confirmed receipt or responded to any of my letters regarding abductions and extrajudicial killings,” he said. “This clearly indicates that the matter is not a priority for the President or the Cabinet.”


Muturi expressed surprise at President Ruto’s televised claim that the Cabinet had already discussed and resolved the issue.


“I have regularly received Cabinet dispatches after meetings, and I can confirm that this matter has never been discussed,” he stated. “Like many Kenyans, I was surprised to hear the President assert on live television that the Cabinet had already addressed and resolved it.”


Muturi accused the President of misrepresenting the reasons for his dismissal, drawing parallels with online criticisms questioning Ruto's credibility.


“It is evident that what the President has said regarding my absence from Cabinet meetings is untrue,” Muturi said. “This perhaps aligns with the growing perception on social media that Kenyans increasingly question the accuracy of his statements.”


President Ruto, in a roundtable interview with vernacular media stations on Monday, presented a different perspective on Muturi’s removal. He stated that Muturi, initially appointed as Attorney General, struggled with the role due to his long absence from active legal practice.


“Muturi himself informed me that he was overwhelmed by the role of Attorney General because he had not been in active legal practice for a long time,” Ruto said. “I decided to reassign him to a different Cabinet portfolio due to our long-standing friendship.”


The President argued that Muturi’s consistent absence from Cabinet meetings displayed defiance, leaving no choice but to relieve him of his duties.


“I persuaded him to continue working. I reassigned him to another ministry, but he refused to attend Cabinet meetings. Did I fire him, or did he fire himself?” Ruto posed.


Ruto compared Muturi’s situation to that of his deputy, Rigathi Gachagua, stating that he believes in giving second chances to his associates. However, he suggested that Muturi’s exit was unavoidable, noting that the former CS would not face financial difficulties as he has a pension.




in News
Mati April 2, 2025
Share this post
Archive